Sunday, December 20, 2009

Nice day today

Had a very nice day. Cleaned my CHU. Took down the bunkbed. Put my own sheets on. No more of the ragged GI linen. Got rid of most of the dust, sand and mud that accumulates in here. Weather was about 70 degrees (I'm guessing) and sunny. I think I'll plan a little cookout for the guys for next Sunday. Buy a little weber, some burgers and brats and get all the rest from the chow hall. You have to have something to look forward to!

This week was very busy. We were visited by Gen McNabb, commander of US Transportation Command. Then by Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Admiral Mike Mullen. Followed those guys around all day taking pictures and writing stories about the visit. Had to remeber how to lay out a news magazine, but finally got that completed. The Bedrock Bulletin is emailed to everyone on base every Friday. We embed video reports produced by Miguel into the Bulletin, so it is a nice product. I do this every week now. Should keep me busy.

Miguel, the LT and I took a little drive yesterday to the local Iraqi market on base. Bought a Battlestar Galactica movie I hadn't seen (I'm a sci fi geek) and the complete seven seasons of the Soprano's for $26. Little different from the states. Took a swing by Chemical Ali's labroratory and the golden archesd that used to be the main entrance when the Iraqi's owned this base. Pictures to follow.

Spoke to Jodi via the magic jack (great investment!). So nice to talk like you're in the next room. In the old days when I was assigned overseas ('78-'80, '81-'83), it cost a fortune to call home. Or I used the MARS system of volunteers staffing a shortwave radio system. Everytime you stopped talking, you had to say "Over." Then every volunteer along the way switched a lever that allowed the other person to speak. It was a good system, as long as you said the magic word. Today, everything is over the internet. I'll be skyping later.

So all is well here in Iraq. Hope everyone is getting ready for the holidays and not getting too stressed. I'll have lots of pictures next week of the christmas festivities. Oh yeah, I saw Anna Konikova as she came off the C-130 on a USO visit. I was there to photograph Adm Mullen and there she was, right next to me. So I took a paparazzi shot. I'll post a few pictures in a bit...

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you, sounds like a good experience. You should be good for least five more years after you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll miss ya at Christmas Darrell - huge storm coming. Does your roommate mind the snoring?

    ReplyDelete