Sunday, December 13, 2009

In Iraq

Again, it has been a whirlwind. We left Qatar on a C-130 and arrived at Ali Base, Iraq at 1 am Thursday. Checking in was relatively painless and quick. My compatriot, Miguel, and I were met by Lt. Korey and the three enlisted Public Affairs guys that we're replacing. After the paperwork shuffle, they took us to our CHU's (containerized housing units) for a few hours sleep.

All things considered, the CHU's are pretty nice. It's a long trailer divided into four individual rooms. Fridge, bed, desk, wall locker. Pictures to follow.

Thursday I spent at the 407th Aero Expeditionary Group headquarters meeting people and getting the lowdown on the mission. I have an office and all the tools to get the information job done. Friday and Saturday were spent gleaning as much info from the outgoing guys as possible. I think they'll be here until next Tuesday, when they catch their freedom flight back home. All three are young guys in their mid 20's.

We work six days per week, 7 am to 7 pm. However, that's not too bad when you consider what else there is to do. I will fill you in on the recreational activities as time goes on. It's Sunday, December 13th at 10 am at the moment and Sunday at 1 am back home. So I can't call anyone as they're all in bed.

Yesterday I ran a 5K Fun Run. Wasn't sure I could do it as I haven't run 3.2 miles in probably 30 years. So you suck it up and see what happens. Hey, there were still people behind me when I finished so I'm happy!

Anyway, time to post some pictures. You can always post comments, I like to hear from my 'peeps'!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh that's a lot of working, Pops. But you're right, what else is there to do? Ha. I would probably be in the coffee shop 18 of the 24 hours I had free. I guess you will have lots of time to ponder life. What is your day off? Sunday? Sorry I haven't commented before, I just remembered how to get to your blog!
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete