Sunday, January 24, 2010

Seems like forever

Since I posted here. Let's see, we've had a USO show with Kellie Pickler. That was entertaining. She had two country rockers with her that actually entertained the troops more. But I give her credit; this is her third USO tour of the AOR. So good on her.

Went outside the wire yesterday to an Iraqi Women Journalists meeting. Wondering why i was there? I was the 'battle buddy' for SMSgt Elizabeth Gilbert who attended the get-together. All the women in burkhas and the men, or 'shepards', there to be sure they were safe. Actually, the men I spoke to told me how dangerous it is to travel between provinces, especially for women.

We had lunch there as their guests. Some type of kabob with rice and soup. Everytime I asked what the kabab was, the answer was "Meat." Hmmm.

Travelled  there and back in an armored Toyota SUV. Very interesting. They look almost normal but must weigh a ton. I want one. Gas milage be damned.

The multi-national camp we went to is guarded by ex-ghurkas. As you know, the Ghurkas are a regiment of the British Army from india/Nepal. Most of the lads i spoke with were from Nepal. Retired from the british Army and volunteered for the MNF (Multi National Force) for Afghanistan and Iraq. One fellow had his convoy blown up three times and once ambushed. But he declared Iraq "Relatively safe now." So everything is cool.

Drove within about two miles of the Ziggurat, the 5,000 or so year old structure built by the ancient Mesopotamians or Sumarians. We aren't allowed to tour the site (for safety reasons) since we turned it over to the Iraqis. But i got some good shots anyway.

While at the journalists siminar, I met a couple french writers and an Italian woman journalist working different stories here in Iraq. They live an interesting life, working in a war zone.

I will post some pictures shortly. Go Vikes! They'll be live on tv tonight, at 2:30 am. So I guess I'll be a little tired tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well.

2 comments:

  1. I salute you, Master Sergeant, and all of our troops in theater.

    Fred Ruthke
    USAF in the 60's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pops, could you just stay inside the base, please? I thought that was the agreement. I know you're all about adventure, but come on! I don't like you runnin around the countryside.
    Sounds like a really interesting seminar you went to here though. What language do they speak in Iraq? I feel like I should know this. Maybe I do and I'm just too tired to muster the energy to remember. Anyways, love you. Miss you. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete